History & Background
Aim & Storyline
Tips & Hints
Tips & Hints
1. Basic fighting: Don't just simply bash monsters - you have three TURBO charged moves at your disposal. Look for the turbo
bar above your stats box at the bottom of the screen. To unleash the turbos, just press FIGHT + TURBO when charged to the
2. Push: To push your way through a crowd of monsters, just aim your character and hit TURBO.
3. Magic use: To use Magic like a bomb, press MAGIC. Press TURBO + MAGIC for a Magic Wall. FIGHT + MAGIC plus
will throw magic in the direction you aim.
4. Building characters: Each character has ratings for strength,
speed, toughness, and magic. At the start, each of the characters
has different best abilities: the Warrior is strongest, the Archer is
quickest; the Wizard has the best magic, and the Valkyrie is
5. Passwords and Secret Characters: You can save your character with passwords. One password will save all four of your
characters. A password is simply three letters followed by three numbers.
6. To Beat the Game: You must defeat the demon Skorne. To get to Skorne, collect all four KEYS. You can get one key by
defeating each of the four world bosses: Dragon, Djinn, 3-Headed Chimera, and Spider Queen. To defeat Skorne, find and
collect all 12 of the Rune Stones. These are hidden throughout the four worlds. Every time you acquire a rune, it is stored
permanently in your password.
7. Secret Rooms: There are four secrets rooms, packed with cool freebies. These are hidden deep in certain Stages.
8. Suicide Bombers. Each Stage has "suicide" bombers, crazed underlings who have kegs of dynamite strapped to their back.
When you see the other enemies running from this guy, you should too!
1. If you know a chest contains Death, use potion on chest before opening and you will turn Death into food (health).
2. A solo player may enter multi-player areas by standing on the trigger and waiting until an enemy steps on the platform, at
which time you should use your turbo (push) to advance onto the platform. (Don't kill enemy on platform until you are on the
3. In treasure rooms, always pick up extra speed ASAP and then go for the gold and silver coins for greatest treasure
value.(You may even want to avoid bronze coins until you have extra speed)
4. You can avoid waking up some Golems by not stepping on a trigger or opening a gate.
5. In a multi-player game you can use the exit as a safe spot until all
are on exit. (Your health will not run down and enemies will
not see you)
6. The hot/cold meter will show up on Stages where you are trying to find the rune stone for the second time. The hotter the
meter the closer you are to the trigger point of that rune stone.
7. When you are fighting a group of enemies you can save yourself a lot of work and health if you turbo push through them to
8. Always try to get turbo to Stage 3 before using. It's effects on enemies is vastly superior to Stage 1 or 2.
9. When entering Skorne's Cathedral, make sure you have a full complement of keys. You'll see why...
10. The Valkyrie is the best character to select from the start; she is
well-rounded and her attributes total up to be greater than
any other character.
11. When buying items in the shop, avoid buying objects and purchase attributes - this will give you the best value in the long
run when your character gets to high Stages.
12. Always play through to the boss at the end of a Stage. If you don't, you are giving up valuable experience points and a
chance to get the bosses' gold.
1. The Valkyrie is the most balanced character, but not necessarily the
best. While she can be spectacular in the hands of an experienced
player, she is generally outdone by the Archer/Tigress. The Archer
is not very tough, and her hand-to-hand tools are subpar, but her
rate of fire, running speed, and superior Turbo Attacks make up the
difference and then some.
2. Save every time you return to the Tower.
3. Clear out all hazards before exploring for switches, goodies, etc.
4. Use a potion on poison food to turn it healthy. Also, if you know
that a chest contains Death, using magic on it converts the Reaper
himself into food.
5. Don't go after any of the bosses until you have their corresponding
Legend Item. It's possible to beat them with raw nerve, but you're
missing out if you try to do it the hard way.
6. If you forget something important on a level (an Obelisk, Runestone,
or Legend Item), you'll hear Skorne's mocking laughter as you exit.
7. Your Turbo Level 3 is always preferable to its counterparts,
especially if your Turbo Level 2 only works at close range, like
Valkyrie's. The Archer is the exception as her Level 2 is quite
8. Switch to Secret Heroes as soon as you get them because they get
more benefit from level promotions than normal characters do.
9. Don't forget that you can throw magic as a grenade.
10. Shooting explosive and poison barrels is good unless you're too
close--they damage anything nearby and can usually take out a
generator with one blast. Shooting food is impossible, so don't
worry about ruining any. Shooting magic potions causes them to
detonate at less than full capacity.
11. Pay attention to the arrows on switches if you're wondering about
1. Always target generators before all but the most immediately
2. When a generator is hit, the hit makes a specific sound; likewise,
when a generator is finally destroyed, there is another unique sound.
Get to know these sounds so you can attack off-screen generators.
3. Enemies get "darker" as you attack them, but they don't get any
weaker. Always finish off a foe or he'll keep hacking at you until you
4. Bombers and Bowmen will retreat if you rush them, attacking as
they go. Corner them to kill them from close range or try to snipe at
them from a great distance. Move erratically to avoid their fire.
5. When you hear a Kamikaze roar, stop and inch forward carefully;
they can come out of nowhere.
6. There's no dishonor in dismantling an enemy or generator from a
distance, from behind cover, or from across a gorge. In fact, it's one
of the most important strategies in the game.
1. Use your gold to buy character attribute upgrades rather than
expendable weapons. If you have a character that is very weak in
one category (Warrior's speed), load up on that attribute to balance
2. If there is an item you never use, sell it to Sumner for gold to buy
things you do want.
3. Once you've finished the game, you can begin a new one with a
special advantage. Load your completed game and then start a new
one. Your fresh character will come permanently equipped with an
4. Pay attention to your power-ups--confirm that you've turned them
off when you don't need them or they'll go to waste.